What is an organic mattress pad and why would I need one? Learning more about these additions to your mattress could help unlock a new level of sleep comfort for you and can help protect your mattress, so let's dive in!
What Is An Organic Mattress Pad?
Organic mattress pads are a popular addition to your mattress, adding a thin layer of protection and support between you and your mattress. Usually just an inch or two thick, organic mattress pads are designed to provide an additional layer of comfort, protection, and support to your mattress.
Mattress pads can be made of a variety of materials such as cotton, wool, polyester, or memory foam, and they come in various sizes and thicknesses to fit different mattress sizes. Of course, not all mattress pads are organic, but organic materials are even more important when they are in contact with you during sleep! More on that later.
Mattress pads can serve multiple purposes, such as adding extra cushioning to a firm mattress, protecting the mattress from spills or stains, blocking and reducing allergens, or regulating body temperature. They are typically held in place on the mattress by elastic straps or anchor bands, and they can be easily removed and washed when needed.
Why Use An Organic Mattress Pad?
Mattress pads can serve multiple purposes, such as adding extra cushioning to a firm mattress, protecting the mattress from spills or stains, reducing allergens, or regulating body temperature.
Organic mattress pads are a popular addition to mattresses for several reasons:
- Protection: Mattress pads provide a layer of protection for your mattress against spills, stains, and normal wear and tear. This can help extend the life of your mattress and keep it in good condition for longer.
- Comfort: Mattress pads can add an extra layer of cushioning and softness to your mattress, which can make it more comfortable to sleep on. This can be particularly beneficial if your mattress is too firm or if you have aches and pains.
- Hygiene: Mattress pads can help to reduce the build-up of allergens such as dust mites, pet dander, and pollen on your mattress. This can be beneficial for people who suffer from allergies or asthma.
- Temperature regulation: Some mattress pads are designed to help regulate your body temperature while you sleep. This can be particularly beneficial if you tend to get too hot or too cold at night.
What's the Difference Between a Mattress Topper and a Mattress Pad?Although mattress pads and mattress toppers are both layers of material that go on top of your mattress, they are different and have different uses. A mattress pad is a thinner layer of material, usually 1 to 2-inches thick, that is designed to protect your mattress from spills, stains, and normal wear and tear. It can also provide an extra layer of comfort to your mattress, but it is typically not as thick or as plush as a mattress topper. They are often machine washable. On the other hand, a mattress topper is a thicker layer of material, often 2 to 3-inches thick, that is placed on top of your mattress to provide additional support, cushioning, and comfort. Mattress toppers are usually made of memory foam, latex, or feather and down, and they come in a variety of thicknesses and densities to meet different sleep preferences. They can help relieve pressure points, reduce motion transfer, and adjust the firmness of your mattress. Sometimes, mattress toppers are a good way of getting more life out of your mattress. Maybe your mattress is too firm and you want a softer feel. Or maybe the opposite: your mattress is getting soft and you want a firmer feel. Mattress toppers can help with adjusting the structure of your mattress, while mattress pads typically just provide a cushion of comfort on top.
What Are Organic Mattress Pads Made Out Of?
Typically, organic mattress pads come in two materials, or a combination of material:
- Organic cotton mattress pads: Organic cotton is a popular choice for mattress pads because it is breathable, soft, and easy to clean. It can provide an extra layer of comfort and protection to your mattress without adding too much bulk or weight.
- Organic wool mattress pads: Wool mattress pads are naturally moisture-wicking, temperature-regulating, and hypoallergenic. They can help keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter, and they are ideal for people with sensitive skin or allergies.
- Other materials: Mattress pads can also be made from other materials like polyester, feather down, or memory foam. While these materials can be good for some people, they generally aren't as effective as organic cotton and organic wool because they are either synthetic (memory foam and polyester) and don't last or wash as well, or they can cause allergic reactions (feather down).
Be Careful, Not All Mattress Pads Are Waterproof
Although you might be looking for a mattress pad to provide waterproof protection for your mattress, not all mattress pads are waterproof. This mattress pad from Wool Room, for instance, will not protect your mattress from water damage. Or this one from Avocado also will not provide waterproof protection. If you are looking for a comfortable addition to your mattress that also provides serious waterproof protection, you can check out these options from My Green Mattress. Our organic cotton mattress protector is a great addition for keeping your mattress clean. Or our organic latex mattress topper can be used in conjunction with the protector to provide a comfortable layer of support and protection for your mattress.
Shop our organic mattresses now and take advantage of month-to-month payments if you prefer. Have any questions? Our knowledgeable customer service team is just one message away.