You just bought a new mattress and you’ve brought it home. Congratulations! This is the first step towards a new level of rest in your life. But now you have to protect your mattress.
That’s right, protect it. Protect it from what, you might ask?
There are several reasons why it's important to protect a mattress. Here are a few of them.
To protect your mattress against stains and spills
Mattresses are prone to spills from beverages, food, or even bodily fluids, which can leave unsightly stains and smells. Aside from being unsightly, stains also hurt your mattress in other ways. They can make the materials that your mattress is made with deteriorate. They can also bring moisture into the mattress which could mean mildew, mold or deterioration down the road.
To protect your mattress against dust mites and allergens
Dust mites are microscopic organisms that live all around us and can trigger things like allergies and asthma. Yuck! It just so happens that dust mites LOVE mattresses. Mattresses are a great place for dust mites to live relatively unhindered. If you don’t protect your mattress from dust mites, then when you sleep you can develop low level allergic reactions to these bugs, harming your important rest time.
To prolong the life of your mattress
Mattresses are an expensive investment, and protecting them can help extend their lifespan. If you don’t protect your mattress, the natural process of deterioration will happen faster, and you’ll need to replace it sooner.
Overall, protecting your mattress can help keep it clean, hygienic, and in good condition, which can help you get a better night's sleep and save you money in the long run.
HOW to Protect Your MattressAs we discussed, protecting a mattress can help extend its lifespan and give you a better night’s sleep in the meantime. Here are some of the best ways to protect your mattress:
- Use a mattress protector: A mattress protector is a waterproof and breathable cover that fits over your mattress like a fitted sheet. It protects your mattress from spills, stains, dust mites, and bed bugs. The mattress protector from My Green Mattress is a great option. It’s made with two layers of soft, GOTS-certified organic cotton, as well as a breathable moisture barrier layer and can be easily machine washed and dried.
- Wash your bedding regularly: Washing your bedding regularly can help prevent sweat, dead skin cells, and other debris from building up on your mattress. Try changing your sheets each week and you’ll notice the difference.
- Don't eat or drink on your bed: This might sound obvious, but eating or drinking on your bed can increase the risk of spills and stains.
- Rotate your mattress: Rotating your mattress every two to three months can help prevent uneven wear and tear.
- Vacuum your mattress: Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to remove dust and debris from your mattress. Vacuuming is a great way to get the allergens that go deep into your mattress out of there.
You Really Shouldn’t Go Without A Mattress Protector!
We mention mattress protectors above as a great way to protect your new mattress. We want to drive the point home a little more as well. There are so many reasons to get a mattress protector when you get a new mattress. Here are a few of them.
Protect the terms of your warranty.
New mattresses come with a warranty and oftentimes come a trial period. The terms of these warranties have exclusions that state the mattress must be clean and free of stains. Your mattress should be covered with a mattress protector to keep it in good condition so it can be returned or replaced if a warranty issue arises.
Mattress protectors protect the mattress from stains, spills and other accidents.
A waterproof mattress protector, like the one made by My Green Mattress, prevents stains from penetrating the mattress. As we mention above, this has all kinds of benefits. It helps keep your mattress smelling and feeling fresh, and it helps your mattress last longer.
Mattress protectors increase the lifespan of the mattress.
Mattress protectors, because they prevent stains, dust mites, moisture and other things from getting in the inner workings of your mattress help make it last longer.. All those things, when they penetrate your mattress, cause the materials in your mattress deteriorate faster.
Mattress protectors provide for a softer and more comfortable sleep.Sleeping with only a sheet between you and the mattress can be less comfortable. A mattress protector reduces the sometimes scratchy feeling of the top layer of the mattress. It can also help keep you cool while you sleep because it adds a layer of space between the mattress and the body.
Mattress protectors protect you from allergens.
Perhaps most importantly, mattresses can be a huge repository of all kinds of allergens, from dust mites to pet dander and more. By using a mattress protector, you prevent the allergens from getting into your mattress, meaning that you can get a better night’s sleep.
Your mattress is a major investment that will help you live your best life. We hope that we’ve shown you why it’s important to protect that investment, and how best to do it. Get in touch with My Green Mattress if you want to discuss protecting your new mattress.