Thanksgiving is almost here and while celebrating being grateful, people are eating a lot of food. In fact, it’s the holiday where Americans are known to do the most eating in one sitting.
Each year I try to change things up a bit, making a dish I’ve never made before, with a focus on making it healthier than the traditional way. For instance, I avoid using marshmallows on our sweet potatoes because we don’t need more sugar on top of something naturally sweet, especially when there is dessert to save room for! In addition, I always avoid pre-made foods, like pumpkin puree or cranberry sauce in a can. The real, fresh, homemade versions are so much tastier, more nutritious, are free of additives and are pretty simple to make.
The truth is that you can have a healthy Thanksgiving spread that tastes delicious too. To help you with some ideas, here is a round-up of Thanksgiving recipes from some of the top natural, real food bloggers.
Because so many people have food allergies or sensitivities, dishes made with special restrictions in mind are noted.
- Sauteed Carrots Three Ways: Simple Or Dressed For The Holidays
- Basil Mashed Potatoes (Paleo)
- Pecan Roasted Better-Than-Sweet-Potato Casserole (Low Carb, Paleo)
- Lacto-fermented Cranberry Apple Relish (lacto-fermentation increases or preserves the vitamin and enzyme levels of foods, so this recipe is is nutritious as it is delicious.)
- Grain Free Holiday Stuffing (GAPS Friendly)
- Roasted Bacon Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin (Low Carb, Gluten-Free)
- A Simple Homemade Cranberry Sauce (naturally Gluten-Free)
- Baked Pumpkin Fries (Paleo)
- Whipped Cauliflower Puree (aka. Faux Mashed Potatoes)… (Gluten Free, Low-Carb, Paleo)
- Butternut Squash Apple Soup (Gluten Free)
- Curried Cauliflower Soup with Chicken and Apples (Gluten-Free, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free)
- Cream of Pumpkin Soup (Paleo)
- Pumpkin Ice Cream
- Homemade Pumpkin Puree/Pie Filling (Gluten Free)
- Cinnamon Almond Butter Cookies (Gluten Free)
- Easy, No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Recipe (Paleo)
- Apple Pie Quick Bread (Gluten Free)
- Paleo Pecan Pie Bars (Low Carb, Gluten-Free)
- Grain-Free Cranberry Apple Crisp (Gluten & Dairy-Free, Paleo)